RNLI SUP Safety
Simple checks for safe paddle boarding from the RNLI
Visit the RNLI Website
- Always tell somewhere where you’re going and when you’ll be back. Don’t leave the house without a mobile phone or communication device.
- Check the weather forecast and tide times before you set out – they can change quickly.
- Avoid offshore winds.
- Always go with a friend.
- Wear a suitable personal flotation device.
- Wear suitable clothing for time of year.
- Always wear your leash and hold onto your board if you get into trouble – it will help you float.
- Always make sure you launch and recover between the black and white chequered flags. Consider other water users by learning the rights of way in the surf. This can save you and others getting injured.
- Get the appropriate level of training.